Smoked Salmon Jerky
I made a simple full of flavor cured and smoke salmon jerky, it is testy and healthy protein snack or breakfast side dish. I can finish the whole thing in one day, I absolutely love it. I started with wild caught salmon fillet that I bought at my local store, wild caught test so much better than farm raised. I cured and smoked it as if I was making nova lox then simply left it alone in the dehydrator for about 4-5 hrs Until chewy and just right texture.
You can use liquid smoke for this recipe, I used weira (olive wood) that I have in the house, other than smoking fish I use weira to smoke my cottage cheese, honey wine, nitir kibe (aged and clarified butter), milk and so on, It has typical, mild, intense smoke flavor.
have you have ever used Weira? how do you like it? Comment below
Smoked Salmon Jerky
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs salmon filet boneless, with the skin on
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Rinse salmon filet and make sure all pin bones are removed. To do this, take small pliers or tweezers and pull the small bones out in the same direction they face. There are pin bones more often in wild salmon than in farmed salmon.
- Mix the salt and sugar in a bowl. On a plate or in a shallow dish, pile half of the mixture onto each half of the salmon. It will seem like there is extra mixture, but just pile it on. The salmon will absorb the mixture during the curing process. wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 24 hrs.
- Rinse well, pat dry then slice wide strips down the length of fillet
- Smoke the fillet, if you have smoker, great! if not , you can use a pot like mine (see note), I smoked it twice until the smoke completely disappears. About 20 minutes
- Lay the strips on a dehydrator tray make sure none of the pieces are touching and there is room between for air circulation.
- Dehydrate for about 4-5 hours or depending on your dehydrator manual
- Remove skin from jerky and enjoy!