My Favorite cake
I try not to make this cake often because I cant stop eating it, please don’t blame me if you gain weight haha, but it is so good and I say we live everyday we die once, so let have fun. That being said I only make it for holidays and special occasions for my close family and friends. It remind me of Enrico pastry shop in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (everyone’s favorite). Please let me know in the comment if you have any questions, I will update the notes accordingly
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 1 Vanilla bean split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 5 Large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 4 tbsp Cornstarch
- pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Bring the milk and vanilla to hot and steamy in a saucepan. Keep an eye on the pan as the milk can boil over very quickly!
- Mix the sugar, egg yolks, corn starch and sugar together until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour half of the warmed milk over the egg mixture and whisk vigorously until smooth and thoroughly combined
- Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk and continue to whisk over a medium heat
- Cook until the mixture thickens, being careful not to let it burn on the bottom of the pan. The mixture will go very lumpy – don’t worry, this is supposed to happen! Just keep whisking and the mixture will go smooth, thickened and glossy. Cook out for another two minutes, then remove from the heat
- Add unsalted butter and mix well
- Empty your crème pâtissière into a bowl and close cover with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Allow to cool, then place in the fridge until needed
- 6 Eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- pinch Salt
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil any oil with no flavor
- Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Line bottoms of two 9″ cake pans with parchment paper (do not grease the sides).
- How to Make this Sponge Cake:
- Whisk egg yolks and vanilla, set aside.
- Sift flour and baking soda, set aside
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment beat eggs whites on high speed. With the mixer on, add 1 cup sugar and continue beating 8-10 minutes until thick and fluffy, meringue until meringue forms soft peaks.
- On the lowest speed of your mixer, add the egg yolk and vanilla mixture whisk,
- Add flour and baking powder one tablespoon at a time. whisk on low speed or Fold with a spatula with each addition just until incorporated. Scrape spatula from the bottom to catch any pockets of flour and stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain. Do not over-mix or you will deflate the batter.
- mix oil with 1 tablespoon of the batter and add it to the batter and fold
- Bake at 350˚F for 35-40 minutes , or until top is golden brown. Remove from pan, transfer to a wire rack and remove parchment backing. Cool cakes to room temperature then slice layers equally in half with a serrated knife.